In 1913, the original course was laid out by Robert Simpson, the professional at Carnoustie, of which the first four holes still survive today. Since 1950 the club has had an association with the MacKinnon family of Drambuie fame. It was Gena MacKinnon who bought Braehead Farm to protect the interests of the club, and leased the land to the club in 1950 so that the club could be extended to 18 holes. Although not a golfer, Mrs MacKinnon enjoyed performing the opening ceremony of the club every year. The driver she used has pride of place in the clubhouse